The making of the Rays' DJ Kitty
DJ Kitty is in the house.
Few folks at the Rays game reacted to the giant-screen video of a black and white cat plunking his paws on piano keys.
But a couple of weeks ago, some of the baseball players had an idea. Keyboard cat was so lame, so last season. If a cat was supposed to pump up fans on the way to the playoffs, it had to be a cool one.
When a revamped video debuted, with kitty dressed up in a jersey, hat and a little ALCS ring-bling, fans went wild. More than 921,000 people have viewed the video on YouTube. That's 30 times the number of fans who show up for games — on good days.
More Rays coverage
- Host cities: Differences aside, Rays and St. Petersburg are ready to put on a party
- Gary Shelton: Enjoy Carl Crawford while he's still part of the Tampa Bay Rays
- Al Lang Field: International baseball coming to St. Petersburg
- The Heater: Get the latest updates from our beat writers at the Rays blog
- Tickets: Where to find playoff game tickets online — and how to avoid a scam