Adam Putnam touts his opposition to Rick Scott's Medicaid stance
This is awkward. The Republican party of Florida, led more or less by Gov. Rick Scott, fired off a mass email on behalf of Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, touting Putnam's disagreement with Scott over expanding Medicaid coverage im Florida under the Affordable Care Act. A state party spokesman stressed that no one at the party had anything to do with it, despite the disclaimer that it was paid for by the RPOF.
Certainly won't do anything to dim speculation about a primary challenge for Scott. Here's the full email:
Expanding Medicaid Coverage Would Cost Florida Billions
Last week, before members of the Florida Retail Federation, Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam criticized the proposal to expand Medicaid in Florida, explaining it will grow eligibility to more than 20 percent of Florida’s population and cost Florida taxpayers billions of dollars.
• "It's extremely disappointing to learn that Florida may take on billions in additional costs to taxpayers by expanding Medicaid coverage," Putnam said. "With over three million Floridians already enrolled in Medicaid, Florida cannot afford to foot the bill for millions more." (Associated Press)
• Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam … called Scott's decision "extremely disappointing …We will not be able to undo the expansion of Medicaid after enrollment has exploded and the federal government begins to shift the cost to the states," Putnam said, estimating the state cost at more than $5 billion over 10 years. (Florida Current)
• "It is naive at best to think that you would enroll 1 million people in three years and then decide to walk away from the program," he said in an interview, referring to Scott's proposal to undo the expansion if the federal government withdraws money or if the Legislature chooses not to renew it. (Miami Herald)
• “In three years, you don’t get a do-over just because it sunsets, which is a classic Tallahassee or a Washington bait and switch,” Putnam told members of the Florida Retail Federation. “You don’t get a do-over once you’ve enrolled 1.3 million new people. You don’t get to say, ‘Sorry it’s sunsetted, we’re booting you off the rolls.’ You get one chance to make this decision.” (News Service of Florida)
• Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, often called a future gubernatorial candidate, tweeted Thursday he was disappointed “to learn that Florida may take on billions in additional costs to taxpayers by expanding Medicaid coverage.” “The expansion of Medicaid in FL does not create jobs or strengthen any. And it will cost Floridians $5B over the next 10 years,” Putnam added in a follow-up tweet. (Sunshine State News)
• "I think we all have an obligation to look beyond the window of our own time in public life and think about the long term impact of these policies in Florida," [Putnam] said. (Tampa Bay Times)
Click here to watch Adam Putnam’s statements to the Florida Retail Federation last week: http://youtu.be/Mt-T1GxyoyY.
To learn more about Adam Putnam, visit www.adamputnam.com.
The email includes the disclaimer that it was paid for by the Republican Party of Florida, but a state party spokesman stressed that no party staffers were involved, no state party list was used, and no party server.