Capitol Buzz: 5 things to watch today in Tallahassee
Lawmakers are revving up this week, roughly the half-point of session. Here are five things to watch in Tallahassee on Monday:
- Rep. Katie Edwards, D-Plantation, will host an event with the president of the Florida Cannabis Action Network to discuss efforts to legalize medical marijuana. Several related bill aren’t getting much traction, but there is talk of a ballot initiative.
- Speaking of marijuana, the Senate Criminal Justice Committee takes up SB 1140 to ban bongs, the pipes commonly associated with marijuana smoking. A similar measure sailed through a House committee last week.
- The Senate Commerce and Tourism Committee will hear SB 518, which eliminates sales taxes on manufacturing equipment. The $141 million tax break is one of Gov. Rick Scott’s top priorities.
- The Senate’s version of so-called “parent trigger” legislation gets its first hearing. The Education Committee will likely have a large crowd of parents and educators opposed to SB 862.
- House Speaker Will Weatherford will speak to the Legislative Black Caucus Monday event, along with Transportation Secretary Ananth Prasad.