Capitol Buzz: 5 things to watch today in Tallahassee
It's kick-off for Miami-Dade Days, which means, "Bring on the paella." Here are five more things to watch on Wednesday:
- Both the House and the Senate budget committees hold marathon meetings to review funding proposals for the upcoming fiscal year.
- Charter school advocates wanting more school choice and college students wanting more state funding will hold separate rallies at the Capitol.
- One of the many bills related to public financing for sports stadiums gets a hearing in the House Economic Affairs Committee. HB 165 would allow the Miami Dolphins to receive up to $90 million in state tax breaks, but it could be amended to mirror a Senate bill that allows other teams to reap the same benefits.
- A proposal to limit texting-while-driving, HB 13, also reaches its final committee at the Economic Affairs Committee. The bill would let police ticket people who send text messages while a car is in motion.
- The Legislative Black Caucus kicks off it's annual summit Wednesday evening with a welcome reception.