Capitol Buzz: 5 things to watch today in Tallahassee
All eyes will be on the Senate on Wednesday as it takes up the budget for 2013-14, discussing top issues like teacher pay raises, business tax breaks and member projects. Here are some other things going on Wednesday:
- The House Economic Development and Tourism Subcommittee will hear Gov. Rick Scott’s manufacturing tax break (HB 391). Six weeks into session, Scott’s top legislative priority for this year gets its first hearing in the House.
- The Senate is scheduled for an all-day floor session and lawmakers will be taking up and a number of issues in addition to the budget. They include: Massive property insurance reform (SB 1770), restrictions on local police drones (SB 92) and more oversight for economic development deals (SB 406).
- The Florida Realtors will hold a “Rally for Homeownership” on Wednesday, as part of the Great American Realtors Days.
- The League of Women Voters of Florida host its annual Old Capitol Gala on Wednesday. Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam is keynoting and freshman legislators will be honored.
- Campaign finance reports for the first quarter are due on Wednesday, providing a peek into the early fundraising efforts of those eyeing election in 2014 and beyond.