Capitol Buzz: 5 things to watch today in Tallahassee
It’s the end of the second week of the legislative session and Tallahassee is splitsville. No lawmakers are left in town. Even the governor and attorney general have headed south. Although legislators face a funding ban during session, the governor and members of the Cabinet do not. Here are five things to watch for:
- Gov. Rick Scott will announce new funding relating to water quality at the Orange County Regional History Center.
- The governor will also hold a press conference at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center in Miami to highlight cancer research funding in his proposed budget.
- Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani will host a $3,000 per person fundraiser for Attorney General Pam Bondi at Palm Beach’s Mar-a-Lago Club.
- The staff of U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio will be at the Orange Park Town Hall in Clay County from 10 a.m. to noon to assist constituents with issues ranging form Social Security, Medicare, Veterans Affairs, and more.
- A wake for Florida House Democratic Leader Perry Thurston’s father, Perry E. Thurston, Sr., will be held at 5 p.m. at Mount Calvary Missionary Baptist Church, in Pompano Beach. The elder Thurston passed away March 6, at the age of 76. A funeral will be held Saturday at the church at 11 a.m.