AG Pam Bondi calls for changes to oil spill claims process
While BP oil spill claims czar Ken Feinberg is under fire at a House economic affairs subcommittee meeting today, Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi has called for changes to claims process. "The claims process needs to be fair, transparent and as quick as possible in paying bona fide claims," Bondi said in a prepared statement. "Each claim is a person or business whose livelihood has been deeply affected by the oil spill and they need to be compensated."
Among Bondi's suggestions:
* Allow claims adjusters to resolve claims in on-site in their offices;
* Appoint an independent auditor to review past and future decisions of the Gulf Coast Claims Facaility;
* Immediately pay interim claims pending since November
* Make claims procedures public;
* Provide clear explanation to each claimants as to why their payments were were reduced or denied.
Gov. Rick Scott met with Feinberg last night, and Bondi met with him this morning. Feinberg told the House committee today that both Scott and Bondi told him transparency with the claims process are their top concerns.