Opening Day Digest
Starting this session, the Times/Herald Tallahassee Bureau is introducing a daily digest of stories. We'll include prominent headlines from the day before, what's to come later today and a person of interest/quote section. A podcast form of this digest will be released soon both here and on iTunes.
Five Stories To Think About Today
* Gov. Rick Scott delivers his second State of the State address to a joint session of the Legislature at about 11:30 a.m.
* Will Scott demand that lawmakers increase education spending by $1 billion next year?
* A new Quinnipiac University poll out Tuesday will update Scott's poll numbers. Any signs of improvement?
* It's Opening Day of the session -- the only time legislators can accept flower arrangements, candy and other small gifts from lobbyists.
* Will there be an Opening Day hangover? Hundreds of Tallahassee insiders planned to imbibe heavily at Associated Industries' of Florida pre-session bash Monday night.
Three Issues You Missed Yesterday
* The gaming bill (SB 710) passed through the Senate Regulated Industries Committee yesterday 7-3.
* The school bus advertising bill (SB 344) passed through the Senate Education Committee yesterday 4-2. Sponsor Senator Montford said "it is a desperate move, I believe, but it is one that is necessary."
* The House narrowed redistricting maps down to three for the House and three for Congress.
Who To Watch Today/Quotable Quotes
* Senate President Mike Haridopolos: Will he succeed in getting Senate to approve his top-priority bill to require Broward County to compensate accident victim Eric Brody?
* Senator Ellyn Bogdanoff on how Florida's reputation as a family-friendly destination hasn't been hurt despite other influences: "People don't go to South Beach to see Mickey Mouse."