RPOF sends massive records request to Sink's office
The Republican Party of Florida sent a huge public records request to Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink's office, looking for documents related to her former employer Bank of America and her husband, Bill McBride. The letter says the records are necessary to provide "full disclosure to the people of Florida in regards to state contracting" but political points are surely the main objective. For the request, read below.
This comes after Democrats requested documents about Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill McCollum's ties to his former lobbying partner, David Rivkin, who is suing the federal government on behalf of the Attorney General's Office.
March 25, 2010
The Honorable Alex Sink
Chief Financial Officer
400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Dear Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink,
In the interest of providing full disclosure to the people of Florida in regards to state contracting, in accordance with Florida Statute 119.07, I am writing to request the following information from the Department of Financial Services:
· All records or documentation of communication between the your office and Bank of America, focusing on all records and documentation related to the hiring of any former Bank of America employee in the Department of Financial Services from January 3, 2007, to the present.
· All records or documentation of Bank of America, any subsidiary of Bank of America or any entity in whole partly owned by Bank of America managing any money under the aegis of your official capacity as Florida Treasurer, including state deposits and outside money management of the Local Government Fund from January 3, 2007, to the present.
· All records or documentation of any outside contracts with Bank of America for money managing or deposits and the amounts from January 3, 2007 to the present.
· All records or documentation of contracts with the Division of Treasury as well as those involving Florida’s Deferred Compensation Fund, from January 3, 2007, to the present and all communication and documentation related to these contracts including but not limited to the name of the contractor and his or hiring, qualifications and background.
· All records or documentation of communication including participation in meetings, teleconferences and e-mails where William McBride Esq. was present. Any and all communication between your office and the law firm of Barnett, Bolt, Kirkwood, Long & McBride from January 3, 2007, to the present.
This request includes copies of every document, correspondence, memorandum transcript, e-mail, meeting notes, agenda, schedule or other writing or recording in any way related to these matters, including, without limitation, all notes and drafts, regardless of the format in which the information is stored.
If you refuse to provide this information, Chapter 119 requires you advise me in writing and indicate the applicable exemption to the Public Records Act. Also, please state with particularity the reasons for your decision. If the exemption you are claiming only applies to a portion of the records, please delete that portion and provide the remainder of the records.
I request that you provide these materials to me by March 31, 2010, in digital format. If you have any questions, please contact me at (850) 222-7920. Thank you for immediate attention on this matter.
Executive Director, Republican Party of Florida