Sen. Rubio fills out his staff
Sen. Marco Rubio today announced his legislative staff, which will be led by deputy chief of staff Sally Canfield. Names/bios below.
- Brian W. Walsh – Deputy Legislative Director and National Security Advisor: Walsh is the chief policy advisor for defense and intelligence matters and part of Senator Rubio’s foreign policy team. Previously, Walsh worked for Senator George LeMieux (R-FL) as his Legislative Director. From 2007-2010, Walsh handled all Senate Armed Services Committee work for Sen. LeMieux and Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL). Walsh began his career on Capitol Hill in November 2001 as a Legislative Assistant for Congressman Bill Young (FL-10). Walsh is a graduate of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA.
- Darren Achord – Legislative Assistant (Commerce): Achord previously served as senior legislative assistant for Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA), focusing on Energy and Commerce Committee issues, including telecommunications, as well as transportation, science and technology. Prior to that, he served as a legislative correspondent for Rep. Bobby Jindal (R-LA). He has a Master’s Degree in Public Administration from Louisiana State University and a Bachelor’s Degree from The University of Alabama.
- Victor Cervino – Legislative Assistant (Foreign Relations): Cervino served as foreign policy assistant to Sens. Mel Martinez and George LeMieux. He provided analysis on the full range of foreign affairs legislation, including U.S. policy in the Western Hemisphere and the Middle East, U.S. foreign assistance initiatives, and international trade issues. Previously, Cervino worked as research assistant to the senior Latin American policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation. He graduated from Iowa State University in 2004 with Bachelor of Arts degrees in Political Science and International Affairs.
- Sara Decker – Legislative Assistant (Agriculture, Energy and Environment): Decker previously served as a legislative assistant to Rep. John Shadegg (R-AZ) where she handled all energy, environment, agriculture and transportation issues for the Congressman. She also served as the Congressman's energy advisor for issues before the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming and the Committee on Energy and Commerce. Prior to that, Decker served as legislative aide on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee under Sen. Pete Domenici. She has both her Master's and Bachelor's Degrees in public policy from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- J. R. Sanchez – Director of Outreach, Legislative Assistant (Education, Labor, Values and Veterans): Prior to joining Senator Rubio’s United States Senate staff, J.R. served as Rubio’s Faith Based Outreach Director and Social Conservative Liaison during his campaign for Senate. Sanchez’s past appointments include Chief of Staff to the United States Special Counsel and Senior Advisor for Rural Development at the United States Department of Agriculture, both under President George W. Bush. Sanchez also worked at the Republican National Committee. He received his Law Degree at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.
- Jonathan Slemrod – Legislative Assistant (Budget and Taxes): Slemrod previously worked for Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), Chairman of the House Budget Committee, and for Rep. Jeff Flake (R-AZ). He is a graduate of the University of Michigan, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts in political science.