Donald Trump clarifies Guantánamo answer, says foreigners would be tried there
Donald Trump said Monday he would continue to try suspected foreign terrorists at the U.S. Navy base in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba -- an apparent attempt to clarify his remarks from an interview with the Miami Herald last week in which he said he might support trying Americans in Guántanamo, too.
"Foreign combatants will be tried in military commissions," Trump said in a terrorism speech he delivered in Ohio.
He made no mention of Americans, who under current law can't be tried in military commissions.
Asked last week if he would push for that as president, Trump told the Herald, "I would say they could be tried there, that would be fine." His comment drew national attention.
On Monday, Trump reiterated he would keep the Guántanamo detention center open, "and place a renewed emphasis on human intelligence."
"Drone strikes will remain part of our strategy, but we will also seek to capture high-value targets to gain needed information to dismantle their organizations," he said.
The Pentagon disclosed Monday that over the weekend it sent 15 Guántanamo detainees to the Untied Arab Emirates.