How much Beruff can afford to spend will remain a mystery for now
How wealthy Republican U.S. Senate candidate Carlos Beruff really is will remain largely a mystery to voters until August.
That is because Beruff, the self-funding Republican from Manatee County trying to unseat Marco Rubio, has filed for - and was granted - a second extension with the U.S. Senate to delay reporting his income, financial assets and other holdings.
Candidates were required to file financial disclosures on May 16. But Beruff initially asked for an extension until June 23. Beruff, who entered the race for the U.S. Senate late on Feb. 29, filed for another 38-day extension earlier this month that now allows him until July 31 to report his wealth.
The first ballots in the GOP Senate primary will be sent to military and overseas civilians on July 16.
Beruff, a 58-year-old homebuilder, has told reporters his businesses are worth between $150 million and $200 million. The Florida Department of State’s Division of Corporations lists more than 60 business entities that Beruff has been associated with over the last 20 years.
Beruff has already spent about $5 million of his own money on television ads for his campaign and told his campaign staff last week he’s willing to spent another $10 million to $15 million to defeat Rubio in the primary.
Rubio filed his disclosure on time in May, reporting that in addition to his $174,000 Senate salary in 2015, he received $102,500 in royalties from Penguin Random House and $9,016 from Florida International University.
U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy filed his financial disclosure in May, while Rep. Alan Grayson requested extensions and will not have to file his financial disclosure reports until August. Murphy and Grayson are the leading candidates in the Democratic primary on Aug. 30.