Prosecutors looking into Miami-Dade Senate candidate's $25,000 offer for opponent to move
The state attorney in Miami-Dade County is looking into allegations that Andrew Korge, a Democrat running for the Florida Senate, offered a sitting senator $25,000 to run for a different seat.
Sen. Dwight Bullard, D-Cutler Bay, told the Times/Herald last month that Korge, son of Democratic fundraiser Chris Korge, tried to convince him to run for the Senate from a Miami Beach seat recently vacated by Sen. Gwen Margolis.
On Tuesday, the state attorney’s office confirmed Bullard has been in contact with prosecutors.
“Sen. Dwight Bullard has now contacted us today to discuss his allegations,” spokesman Ed Griffith said in an email.
The Miami New Times reported earlier Tuesday morning that the prosecutor’s office opened a probe into the case and asked Bullard for information.
In a statement, Korge reiterated his position that Bullard’s llegations “are unequivocally false.” He said Bullard asked him to raise money for him if he switched district.
“Dwight Bullard has completely mischaracterized and exploited for political gain our conversations by saying that I offered him ‘cash’ to switch races from District 40 to 38,” Korge’s statement read in part. “I welcome any inquiry by the appropriate authorities so that any manipulation of the facts and misconceptions that have been created for political gain can be cleared up.”
Bullard could not be reached for comment.
Korge has switched races several times but will appear on the Democratic primary ballot in District 40, alongside Bullard, former state Rep. Ana Rivas Logan and Missalys Perez. Korge also tried to convince Rivas Logan to move.
Bullard said last month that he did not accept the $25,000 offer.
“I told him to stick it where the sun doesn’t permeate,” he said.
Miami Herald staff writer David Ovalle contributed to this report.