Rubio and Bush reject calls to bar people on 'no-fly' list from buying guns
Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush on Sunday rejected calls to ban people on the national “no-fly” list from buying guns.
The Florida Republicans scoffed at the suggestion, noting some people mistakenly end up on the list.
“The majority of the people on the no-fly list are often times people that just basically have the same name as somebody else, who doesn’t belong on the no-fly list,” Rubio said on CNN's State of the Union. “Former Senator Ted Kennedy once said he was on a no-fly list. There are journalists on the no-fly list.” (Rubio's estimate was way off, PolitiFact concluded.)
Bush on ABC’s This Week said: “I mean, Ted Kennedy and Stephen Hayes the journalist and Cat Stevens, I mean, this is not a list that you can be certain of. The first impulse of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama is to have gun control. But the first impulse in my mind is let's have a strategy to take out ISIS there so we don't have to deal with it here.”
Bush did suggest a more narrowed list would be appropriate. “If you're tracking someone who you believe may be a terrorist, of course they shouldn't get guns,” he said. “The FBI has that capability right now.”
President Obama on Saturday said that it’s “insane” people on the list can get weapons. He addresses the nation tonight about the terrorist threat.
“If you're too dangerous to board a plane, you're too dangerous, by definition, to buy a gun,” Obama said. Those words echoed what Sen. Diane Feinstein said last week as she pushed a measure that failed. Only one Republican, Mark Kirk of Illinois, voted to deny people on the Terrorist Watch List access to firearms and explosives.
John Kasich broke with Republicans on Sunday and sided with Obama and Democrats on the issue.