Clear78° FULL FORECASTClear78° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

The Buzz

From the staff of the Tampa Bay Times

Rubio so far silent on Trump-Khan controversy

1

August

Marco Rubio has so far declined to comment on Donald Trump’s feud with the family of fallen Muslim solider Humayun Khan.

Rubio’s U.S. Senate campaign has not responded to reporter requests since the issue escalated over the weekend with Trump questioning why Mrs. Khan remained silent at her husband’s side during his thundering Democratic convention speech last week.

Democrats and Republicans have condemned Trump’s words, the latest blowup in a string of comments many view as insensitive to immigrants.

Rubio is trying to walk a fine line of support for Trump while criticizing certain positions. He said as a presidential candidate that Trump was unfit to be commander in chief. But Rubio also says Trump must be elected.

“We have got to come together as a party,” Rubio said at a candidate forum in Sarasota on Saturday. “We cannot lose to Hillary Clinton. We cannot lose the White House. We have to make sure that Donald wins this election.”

Rubio has an event in Clearwater today and we’ll update this space if he comments. Email requests to his campaign were referred to a traveling aide.

[Last modified: Monday, August 1, 2016 12:33pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...