Spending the most doesn't always lead to victory at the ballot box
Three of the top five spenders for Florida Senate seats this year have one thing in common.
While the final totals are still being tallied, it is clear that the top 5 spenders for Florida Senate seats averaged spending almost $1.2 million and yet that was still not enough for three of them to win seats.
Democrat Irv Slosberg, Republican Miguel Diaz de la Portilla and Democrat Michael Steinger all spent at least $877,000 from their campaign accounts on winning a seat in the Florida Senate. Senators make a $30,000 a year.
Those totals don’t count spending by outside groups and political parties that may have been helping them indirectly.
Here are is a list of the Top 5 spenders for Florida Senate seats as of Tuesday morning
1. Irving Slosberg, D-Boca Raton, $1,959,206 (lost in primary)
2. Anitere Flores, R-Miami, $1,175,403 (won)
3. Dana Young, R-Tampa, $954,856 (won)
4. Miguel de la Portilla, R-Miami, $880,893 (lost in general)
5. Michael Steinger, D-Palm Beach Gardens, $877,250 (lost in primary)