Here, Skipper, try the decaf
This might be the greatest meltdown in the history of sports. Every time I watch this I keep waiting for Nurse Ratched to come out of the stands with a syringe.
His name is Phillip Wellman and he's the manager of the Mississippi Braves, the Double-A farm team of the Atlanta Braves. And for the rest of his life, no one will care if he says, "Hi, I'm Phillip Wellman and I was the manager of the Mississippi Braves, the Double-A farm team of the Atlanta Braves.'' Instead, he'll get good tables at Sonny's by saying, "Hi, I'm Phillip Wellman and I was the manager who pretended the rosin bag was a grenade.'' To which hostesses will say, "Right this way, Mr. Crazy Guy.''
Here are five more of my favorite meltdowns:
1. Lou Piniella. Multiple occasions, but fighting Nasty Boy Rob Dibble is my favorite.
2. Bob Knight throwing a chair.
3. John McEnroe yelling, "You cannot be SERIOUS!?''
4. An in-a-trance Reggie Jackson chanting, "I must kill ... the queen'' in The Naked Gun.
5. George Brett sprinting, flipping and spitting in the Pine Tar Game.