WDAE's Duemig arrested for suspicion of DUI
Update: 6:10 p.m.
Steve Duemig, arrested on suspicion of DUI early Sunday morning, addressed the incident on his WDAE radio show at 3 p.m. Here is a sampling of some of his comments:
* "This is a very difficult situation and I will face it like a man.''
* "It was an unfortunate situation I was involved with on Sunday morning. ... I will face it and go from there and let the legal system take its course. ... I was literally in the driveway of my home.''
* "I apologize for putting the station on turd watch. ... It's not fun. I apologize to the station for putting us on a negative view.''
* "There are a lot of haters out there that will have a field day. That's expected. When you're the top dog, they come after you. They're going to attack. I can accept that. It's not fun going through it. This is not a prepared statement. This is from the heart.''
* "Many, many, many, many, many more make the decision to drive home than don't. And you can consider yourself very fortunate if you've never been pulled over.''
* "I apologize. I will accept the hate. I hope you don't use hypocrite (to call me.) I don't go after athletes who have been charged because it can happen to anyong.
* "I want to thank the station for supporting me. It has been very, very comforting to have some of the big, big hitters in this company saying, 'We'll get through it.' ''
WDAE-AM sports talk show host Steve Duemig was arrested early Sunday morning near the Feather Sound area in St. Petersburg on suspicion of driving under the influence. Duemig, also known as the "Big Dawg,'' hosts what is probably the most popular sports talk radio show in the Tampa Bay area.
Reached Monday afternoon, Duemig had no comment other than to say he would address the arrest on his radio show, which begins at 3 p.m.
According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's department report, Duemig was pulled over in his white Lexus at 1:39 a.m. Sunday morning. He was booked at 3:11 a.m. and released at 10:15 a.m. No other details were available.