Among Florida few, Moffitt, Tampa General, Shands shine in U.S. News hospital rankings
Wake up and good morning. U.S. News & World Report's latest rankings of the country's best hospitals are out. While Florida hospitals rarely rank among the elite (there are a few specialty exceptions), it's good information to see what hospitals in the state shine better than others. You never know when you may need such information on short notice.
The U.S. News analysis breaks down the best hospitals based on specialties. Here's who did relatively well in the rankings from Tampa Bay and Florida.
* Top-ranked hospitals for cancer: Tampa's Moffitt Cancer Center (photo above) ranked 19th nationally. Here are details.
* Top-ranked hospitals for orthopedics: Tampa General Hospital ranked 25th nationally. Here are details. (Photo, right, a Tampa General trauma room, Carrie Pratt, St. Petersburg Times.)
* Top-ranked hospitals for ear, nose and throat: Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami, ranked 30th nationally . Here are details.
* Top-ranked hospitals for gastroenterology: Weston's Cleveland Clinic ranked 17th nationally. Here are details.
* Top-ranked hospitals for heart and heart surgery: Gainesville's Shands Hospital at the University of Florida ranked 32d nationally. Here are details. Shands also ranked 29th nationally in pulmonology and 25th in urology. Details here.
* Top-ranked hospitals for opthalmology: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami ranked 1st nationally. Here are details.
There's more to view. See the entire U.S. News rankings here.
-- -Robert Trigaux, Times Business Columnist