Florida unemployment rate soars but Tampa Bay's jobless numbers skyrocket
What's the rarest sign around Tampa Bay? You're looking at it. New monthly unemployment numbers are out this morning from the state showing the Tampa Bay metro area's jobless rate skyrocketed to 12.3 percent in November. That's up a surprising 0.5 percentage point from the revised 11.8 percent in October and up an astonishing 4.4 percentage points from November 2008.
Statewide, Florida's unemployment rate rose to 11.5 percent, up 0.2 percentage point from October's 11.3 percent. The state’s current unemployment rate is 1.5 percentage points higher than the national unemployment rate of 10.0 percent. November’s rate for the state is the highest since May 1975 when it was 11.9 percent.
It also means Tampa Bay's unemployment rate is a whopping 2.3 percentage points higher than the national rate, emphasizing the depth of the regional recession and reinforcing forecasts that the Tampa Bay and Florida economic rebound will be painfully slow.
Check here for updates throughout the day.
Here are the unemployment rates of Florida's major metro areas:
1. Palm Coast MSA 16.8 percent
2. Sebastian-Vero Beach MSA 14.6
3. Cape Coral-Ft. Myers MSA 13.9
4. Port St. Lucie MSA 13.9
5. Ocala MSA 13.9
6. Punta Gorda MSA 13.0
7. Lakeland-Winter Haven MSA 12.9
8. Bradenton-Sarasota-Venice MSA 12.6
9. Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach MSA 12.3
10. Naples-Marco Island MSA 12.3
11. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater MSA 12.3
12. Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville MSA 11.9
13. Orlando-Kissimmee MSA 11.8
14. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach MD 11.7
15. Jacksonville MSA 11.2
16. Panama City-Lynn Haven-Panama City Beach MSA 10.7
17. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach MSA 10.6
18. Pensacola-Ferry Pass-Brent MSA 10.6
19. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall MD 10.5
20. Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach MD 10.1
United States 9.4
21. Tallahassee MSA 8.1
22. Ft. Walton Beach-Crestview-Destin MSA 8.1
23. Gainesville MSA 8.0
And here are the unemployment rates for the counties within the Tampa Bay area:
Hernando County 14.7 percent
Pasco County 13.2
Manatee County 12.9
Polk County 12.9
Citrus County 12.6
Sarasota County 12.3
Hillsborough County 12.1
Pinellas County 11.7
Here's the complete press release from the state Agency for Workforce Innovation.
-- Robert Trigaux, Times Business Columnist