By Colette Bancroft
Times Book Editor
Poet Traci Brimhall (Saudade) will read from and sign her book at 6 p.m. Thursday in the TECO Room, USF Education Building, University of South Florida, 4202 E Fowler Ave., Tampa.
The fifth annual SunLit Festival continues this week with these events. All are in St. Petersburg unless otherwise noted. keepstpetelit.org/sunlit-festival.
• Poem in Your Pocket Day Art Installation invites participants to select a poem or write a poem, cut a pocket from an old piece of clothing, place your poem in the pocket, place your poem and pocket on the rear fence of the ArtsXchange and snap a photo of you and your poem and share with others. Noon-4 p.m. Thursday at ArtsXchange, 515 22nd St. S.
• Lector Social Club with Cigar City Journal is a bilingual event featuring writers Jonathan Simkins, Sarah Escue, Marielle Grenade-Willis and Guillermo Parra. 6:30-8 p.m. at Lector Social Club: A Lit & Natty Wine Shoppe, 305 E Polk St., Tampa.
Staged Reading of Art People, a play by Mark E. Leib about the lives, loves and occupational hazards of artists. $10. 7 p.m. Thursday at the [email protected], 620 First Ave. S.
• Porch Party: Gulfport Trolley celebrates the official dedication of Trolley Market Square as a historic site in Gulfport with kids’ activities, live music and unveiling of the new historic marker and walking tour. 7-10 p.m. Friday at Trolley Market Square, 49th Street S and Tangerine Avenue, Gulfport.
• Baked in the Florida Sun: A Benefit for Keep St. Pete Lit, a celebration of local poetry and visual art, will include a sculptural installation by Chad Mize and readings by Florida poet laureate Peter Meinke and other local poets, live music, local literary vendors, food trucks, coffee and bar. 5:30-8:30 p.m. at Behar + Peteranecz Architecture, 2340 Terminal Drive S. Tickets cost $5. There will also be an Artist Private Party, including a conversation with Meinke and Mize, music, open bar and catering, at 7 p.m. Saturday. Tickets cost $50 at brownpapertickets.com.
• A Celebration of the Erotic features Lisa Birnbaum, Amber DiPietra, Maureen McDole and Enid Shomer reading from their own erotic work, as well as pieces by other writers, with a panel discussion to follow and cash bar (18 and older, please). 7 p.m. Monday at Venus, 244 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. N.
• Literary Trivia Night and Costume Contest includes a literary themed costume contest with cash prizes. 7 p.m. Tuesday at SubCentral at Iberian Rooster, 475 Central Ave., Suite 100.
• The Long and Short of It: The Relevance of Dark Fiction and Horror in Our Time features popular Florida authors of dark fiction Steph Post, Kenzie Jennings, F.F. Amati and K.L. Nappier, with book signing. 7 p.m. Wednesday at Books at Park Place (new location), 6800 Gulfport Blvd., South Pasadena.
Designer Nathan Turner (I Love California) will discuss and sign his lifestyle book at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Oxford Exchange, 420 W Kennedy Blvd., Tampa. Tickets $5 (applicable to book purchase) at oxfordexchange.com.
Books and Bites presents author Gale Massey (The Girl From Blind River) discussing and signing her book at a luncheon. $25, $45 with signed book. Noon Friday at Robert W. Saunders Sr. Public Library, 1505 Nebraska Ave., Tampa. (813) 273-3616.
Tampa Bay Black Authors Expo will showcase writers of color and feature writing workshops, children’s activities, face painting, music, spoken word and food. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at Moore Eventful Event Hall, 11141 U.S 19 N, Clearwater.
Events are free unless otherwise noted. To place an item in Book Talk, send author’s name, book title, appearance time, date, venue name and address, admission cost (if any) and a contact phone number to [email protected] (with “Book Talk” in subject line) or Colette Bancroft, Tampa Bay Times, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731. Deadline is 14 days before publication.