By Steve Spears, Times Staff Writer
Suggest a Top 5 at email@example.com
Top 5 weekend movies Dollar amounts in millions
Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D, $27.7
The American, $5.9
Going the Distance, $3.8
Top 5 prime-time TV shows
America's Got Talent, Tuesday (NBC)
America's Got Talent, Wednesday (NBC)
Two and a Half Men (CBS)
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Source: Nielsen Co., for week ending Sept. 5
Top 5 singles on iTunes
Teenage Dream, Katy Perry
Just the Way You Are, Bruno Mars
Dynamite, Taio Cruz
Love the Way You Lie, Eminem
DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love, Usher
Source: iTunes Music Store for week ending Sept. 6
Top 5 Yahoo search terms in Tampa Bay
Oil rig explosion
The world's most famous ZIP code returns to television at 8 tonight on the CW with the Season 3 premiere of 90210. If you haven't been following the remake of the early '90s teen soap opera, a lot has changed in 20 years, and not just the dropping of Beverly Hills from the show's title.
Long gone is the relative innocence of characters like Brandon, Dylan and Donna. Instead, today's more discerning fans get scenes straight from a Bret Easton Ellis novel. Trust me. In my less-than-totally wholesome 43 years, I haven't done half the crazy stunts as the current senior class at West Beverly Hills High School.
Look for the usual array of over-the-top story lines this season, including an earthquake (perhaps caused by the guest appearances of the Kardashian sisters) rocking their quaint little town in the season premiere. The graduation episode can't come soon enough!
In the meantime, here are some other TV show remakes that are at the head of their class.
Top 5 TV show remakes
1. STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (1987-1994): "Kirk, you're still alive, my old friend." Actually, Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) sat in the captain's chair for this series. But this series actually made Trekkies (or Trekkers, if you insist) forget about James T. Kirk, Scotty, Bones and that green-blooded, pointy-eared Vulcan.
2. HAWAII FIVE-O (2010): This remake doesn't even premiere until Sept. 20, but an advance copy sent to us is a smart, blood-pumping thrill ride. McGarrett and Danno are back and ready to rid the island of scum with no rules and no red tape. And even the old theme song returns!
3. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2003-2010): Humans are forced from their home planets by a race of mechanized (though human-like) Cylons in search of a safe new home on the opposite end of the universe called … you got it, Earth. But the remake zested things up with more subtle and mind-scrambling biblical themes than an Easter egg hunt with Pat Robertson.
4. DOCTOR WHO (2005 to present): Hard-core fans (and really no one else) are hopelessly devoted to the never-ending adventures of "the Doctor" and his time-traveling adventures in a blue 1950s British police box. It's a series that has been resurrected more times than David Hasselhoff's acting career.
5. KNIGHT RIDER (2008): Speaking of the Hoff, his son (played by Justin Bruening) took over the family business in this short-lived and sexier sequel to the '80s TV series. Sadly, it never really caught on with fans. Maybe the world really isn't ready for a talking car … no matter what the makers of those portable GPS systems say.