Writers in Paradise, the annual authors conference at Eckerd College, has announced its 12th annual reading series, and as usual it's an all-star lineup.
The 2016 keynote speaker, on Jan. 16, will be Gilbert King, who won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction for Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America, about an infamous Florida sheriff, Willis McCall, and violent racism in the state in the 1940s.
Other speakers, who are also on the conference faculty, include bestselling authors Laura Lippman, Ann Hood, Stewart O'Nan and Dennis Lehane, who is the conference's co-founder.
All readings will take place in Miller Auditorium on the Eckerd campus, 4200 54th Ave. S, St. Petersburg. Each event begins with a reception and book sale at 7:30 p.m., followed by the reading at 8, with author signings immediately after. All readings are free and open to the public.
• Jan. 16: Gilbert King, followed by a Q&A with Les Standiford
• Jan. 17: Laura Lippman and Sterling Watson
• Jan. 18: Ann Hood and Les Standiford
• Jan. 19: Scott Ward, Aimee Nezhukumatathil and Campbell McGrath
• Jan. 21: Laura Williams McCaffrey and Peter Meinke
• Jan. 22: Stewart O'Nan & Andre Dubus III
• Jan. 23: Dennis Lehane
Colette Bancroft, Times book editor