Derek Catron (Trail Angel) will discuss and sign his historical romance novel at 2 p.m. Oct. 30 at Bookstore1, 1359 Main St., Sarasota.
The University of Tampa's Writers at the University Series presents poets Elizabeth Powell (The Republic of Self) and Christine Poreba (Rough Knowledge) reading from and signing their books at 7 p.m. Nov. 1 at Scarfone/Hartley Gallery, 310 N Boulevard, Tampa.
The YWCA of Tampa Bay's Conscious Conversation Series presents Charles B. Dew (The Making of a Racist: A Southerner Reflects on Family, History, and the Slave Trade) at 6 p.m. Nov. 3 at the Florida Holocaust Museum, 55 Fifth St. S, St. Petersburg. Registration required at stpetepreservation.org/event-2348634.
The Tampa Festival of Jewish Books and Conversations presents these events. For information and tickets, contact Brandy Gold at email@example.com or (813) 769-4725.
• Nov. 3: Author Kate Siegel (Mother, Can You Not?) and her mother, TV producer Kim Friedman, discussing Siegel's memoir about their relationship at 7 p.m. at the Tampa Jewish Community Center Cohn Campus, 13009 Community Campus Drive, Tampa. Tickets cost $12.
• Nov. 4: Author Betsy Lerner (The Bridge Ladies) discussing her memoir at 11:30 a.m. at Seasons 52, 204 N West Shore Blvd., Tampa. Tickets cost $26.
• Nov. 5: Ina Yalof (Food and the City: New York's Professional Chefs, Restaurateurs, Line Cooks, Street Vendors and Purveyors Talk About What They Do and Why They Do It) presenting a discussion and tasting at 7 p.m. at the Cohn Campus. Tickets cost $15.
• Nov. 6: Book Festival Day at the Cohn Campus. Panel of local authors, 10:30 a.m.; Library Children's Program featuring Shoshana Banana, 1 p.m.; dinner and discussion with Jason Gerwitz (Israel's Edge: The Story of the IDF's Most Elite Unit, the Talpiot), 6 p.m. Tickets cost $12.
• Nov. 9: Breakfast with Norine Dworkin-McDaniel (Science of Parenthood), 9:30 a.m., Cohn Campus. Tickets cost $5.
• Nov. 13: Journalist David Kushner (Alligator Candy: The True Story of a Tampa Murder) discussing his memoir about the death of his brother at 7 p.m. at Barnes & Noble Carrollwood, 11802 N Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa. Free.
The Clearwater Library Foundation's Afternoon With an Author presents Times staff writer Ben Montgomery (The Leper Spy: The Story of an Unlikely Hero of World War II) at 12:30 p.m. Nov. 10 at Clearwater Main Library, 100 N Osceola Ave. Tickets cost $25; make reservations by Nov. 4 at (727) 937-7059.
Events are free unless otherwise noted. To place an item in Book Talk, send author's name, book title, appearance time, date, venue name and address, admission cost (if any) and a contact phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org (with "Book Talk" in subject line) or Colette Bancroft, Tampa Bay Times, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731. Deadline is 14 days before publication.