Author Leonard Pitts Jr. will discuss his new novel at Inkwood Books, 216 S Armenia Ave., Tampa, at 6 p.m. Monday. Freeman is set in the first few months after the Confederate surrender and Lincoln's assassination. Pitts was the recipient of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize in commentary for his work as a columnist for the Miami Herald. For more information, visit inkwoodbooks.com.
Animal rights activist Neil Abramson (Unsaid) will discuss and sign his novel at 6 p.m. Monday at Bookstore1Sarasota, 1359 Main St., Sarasota.
Friends of the Tarpon Springs Library presents Local Authors Day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday at the library, 138 E Lemon St. Authors reading from and signing their work include Laura Kennedy Bell, Ken Dye, Gwen Mayo and others.
Tarpon Springs Heritage Museum's Lunch and Learn series presents University of South Florida St. Petersburg historian Gary Mormino (Land of Sunshine, State of Dreams) discussing "The Florida Dream" at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the museum, 100 Beekman Lane, Tarpon Springs. Admission is $15. tarponarts.org.
The University of Tampa's Creative Writing Program presents the summer series of its Lectores Public Readings. All events begin at 7 p.m. Learn more at ut.edu/mfacw/lectores/#/?i=1.
• Thursday: Novelists Maile Chapman (Your Presence Is Requested at Suvanto) and Brock Clark (An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England), Reeves Theatre, UT campus, 401 W Kennedy Blvd., Tampa
• Friday: Memoirist Nick Flynn (Another Bulls--- Night in Suck City), Falk Theatre, UT campus
• Saturday: "As Publishing Perishes" with Jill Bialosky of W.W. Norton and Keith Gessen of n+1, Reeves Theatre
• June 17: Jill Bialosky and fiction writer Mikhail Iossel (Every Hunter Wants to Know), Falk Theatre
• June 18: Novelists Tibor Fischer (Good to Be God) and Keith Gessen (All the Sad Young Literary Men), Falk Theatre
• June 19: Poet and nonfiction writer Donald Morrill (Impetuous Sleeper) and novelist Josip Novakovich (April Fool's Day), Vaughn Center, UT campus
• June 20: Novelists Arthur Flowers (Another Good Loving Blues) and Jeff Parker (Ovenman), Sykes Chapel, UT campus
• June 21: Novelist Porochista Khakpour (Sons and Other Flammable Objects) and poets Erica Dawson (Big Eyed Afraid) and Peter Meinke (The Shape of Poetry), Creative Loafing Space, 1911 N 13th St., Tampa.
Laura Kehoe (Beach Cottage Chaos) will have a book launch party and signing for her novel at 6 p.m. Saturday at Marlin Darlin Grill, 2819 West Bay Drive, Belleair Bluffs.
To place an item in Book Talk, send author's name, book title, appearance time, date, venue name and address, admission cost (if any) and a contact phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org or Colette Bancroft, Tampa Bay Times, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731. Deadline is 14 days before publication.