Between work and play, family and friends, you no doubt have less time than ever to devote to beauty. Not to worry: This week I've rounded up 15 fast and effective tips and tricks to help you look great in any time crunch.
We all make mistakes, but when it comes to eye makeup, especially mascara, the trick isn't to avoid making them, it's fixing them that matters. Neutral-toned eye shadows won't cause many problems, but for darker shades of shadow, eyeliner and mascara, apply eye makeup before you apply foundation. This will make mistakes, or even just standard flaking and smudges, easy to fix without having to redo your face.
Yup, even supermodels sometimes fall victim to under-eye bags, puffiness and dark circles, which is why makeup artist Carole Colombani recommends mixing an under-eye brightening serum with concealer and applying with fluffy eye shadow brush. This trick lends color and correction to the easily tired-looking eye area.
No, I don't expect you to walk away from your blow dryer and flat iron. But heat really does damage hair, even if it's essential to achieving great style. Protect looks by using a thermal heat protection spray like Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Serum, sold for $9.99 at Walgreens.
A quick way to take your look from casual to glamorous is to match your manicure to your lipstick in bold, jewel-toned hues. Givenchy launched a trio of matching polishes and lipsticks this spring while Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics launched matching lip tar and nail polish duos in six chic shades.
Beauty sleep may be the best way to look gorgeous, but sometimes you just have to fake it until you make it. The best known, and most trusted, trick for keeping eyes looking bright and alert is applying highlighter to the inner rim of the eye, also known as the water line. Tarte makes a liner designed for the job, Emphaseyes Inner Rim Brightener in Nude. Get it for $19 at Ulta locations.
10 more tips, fast
1. Declump lashes by applying a touch of Vaseline to the tips only; then brush through them with a lash brush.
2. Blast blemishes on the spot by applying ice for two minutes; this trick reduces swelling and redness.
3. Tone down overblushed cheeks with a bit of foundation and water applied to the end of a makeup sponge.
4. Got split ends? A dab of hair wax will conceal split ends fast. To cure them, you'll need a trim.
5. Use a pearly white lip gloss as a multitasking makeup must. Use it not only on lips, but also to highlight eyelids and cheekbones in a pinch.
6. Extend the life of any blow-out or salon 'do with dry shampoo. Check out drugstore brand Psssssst!
7. Always use moisturizer pre-makeup. (Even oily-skinned girls need it.) The trick is to wait 10 minutes post-moisturizer before applying makeup. Then, if skin is still sticky, blot the excess moisturizer with a tissue.
8. Get glowing even when you summer tan starts to fade by mixing one pump of your favorite bronzer with two pumps of your favorite foundation.
9. In a pinch, use lip balm at the corner of eyes on crow's feet to diminish wrinkles and give skin an instant boost.
10. Give your face a slimmer appearance and define cheekbones by swiping a dark bronzer just below cheekbones to contour and shade.
— Carolyn Brundage is the founder of TampaBay.PrettyCity.com, a guide to the best in local beauty. Need beauty advice? Tweet up with Carolyn at @tampabaypretty.