New York chef, restaurants win top awards
New York was the big winner at the James Beard Foundation Awards on Monday night. Honors for best chef, restaurant, new restaurant, plus other top awards went to New York establishments and chefs. The James Beard awards, often described as the Academy Awards for the culinary arts, honor restaurants, chefs, authors and food journalists. Times Staff Writer
Some of the winners:
• Best chef: Dan Barber, Blue Hill, New York.
• Best restaurant: Jean Georges, New York.
• Best new restaurant: Momofuku Ko, New York.
• Best chef, South: John Currence, City Grocery, Oxford, Miss.
• Rising star chef: Nate Appleman, A16, San Francisco.
• Cookbook of the year: Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient by Jennifer McLagan (Ten Speed Press, 2008)
• Writing and literature: In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen (Penguin, 2008).
• Best newspaper food section: Washington Post
For a complete list of winners, go to jamesbeard.org. Also, read food critic Laura Reiley's blog, blogs.tampabay.com/dining, for her take on the awards gala.