Times staff writer
Staying in this evening? Sports and repeats aren't your only options. The networks have a pretty good lineup of New Year's Eve specials that run through the evening. Here are the highlights:
• Live From Lincoln Center (8 p.m., PBS): The New York Philharmonic's New Year's Eve Gala celebrates the music of 20th-century composers Leonard Bernstein and George Gershwin. With pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet.
• New Year's Rockin' Eve: The 40th Anniversary Party (8 p.m., ABC): Memorable clips of past New Year's Eve celebrations spotlight performances by popular artists. First musical headliner in 1972? Blood, Sweat and Tears.
• Dick Clark's Primetime New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest 2012 (10 p.m., ABC): A bicoastal celebration counts down to midnight and features special performances and an appearance by the now 82-year-old former host and originator. This will run until local news at 11, then resume with the countdown in Times Square. Special guests throughout the night include Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, LMFAO, the Band Perry, Taio Cruz, Pitbull, Gym Class Heroes, Florence + the Machine and will.i.am.
• NBC's New Year's Eve With Carson Daly (10 p.m., NBC): The countdown to 2012 begins in Times Square. Grammy Award-nominated recording artist Drake, British superstar Jessie J, The Voice coach and three-time Grammy nominee Blake Shelton, left, Mahaffey-mooning singer Cee Lo Green, Smash star Megan Hilty, four-time Grammy-winning band the Roots and icon Tony Bennett will help usher in 2012. This show will also take a break at 11 and resume at 11:30 for the big ball drop.
• American Country New Year's Eve Live (11 p.m., FOX): The network has ditched pop and hip-hop in favor of country acts, with performances by Joe Nichols, Rodney Atkins, Lauren Alaina, Toby Keith and the Eli Young Band. Set at the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas, the show is hosted by comedian Rodney Carrington alongside Pawn Stars Rick Harrison and Austin "Chumlee" Russell.
• Coldplay New Year's Eve: An Austin City Limits Special (11 p.m., PBS): This concert features songs from the new album, Mylo Xyloto.
• New Year's Eve Live with Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin (11 p.m., CNN): Will the D List comic drop any mind-blowing profanities that will show up on YouTube 5 minutes later? Tune in and see.