Happy birthday to Clint Eastwood, the kind of movie star they don't make anymore, whoever "they" are. Eastwood turns 80 today, and probably could still put anyone half his age in their place, if they bring up his singing in Paint Your Wagon. That's one of the few missteps he's made in a movie career spanning 60 performances, 30 directing jobs, and composing musical scores for five films. Not to mention winning four Academy Awards for producing and directing Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven. The numbers speak for themselves. But in honor of Clint the Squint's birthday, we're testing your knowledge of lines he has spoken in films. Don't expect gimmes like "Make my day," "Do ya feel lucky, punk?" or "Get off my lawn." Eastwood wouldn't take it easy on you, either. Match the lines with the correct movies and make your own day.
1. "A man's got to know his limitations."
2. "I don't take kindly to kids playin' hooky from school. I think every kid in America ought to go to school, at least up to the eighth grade."
3. "I'm not afraid of any man, but when it comes to sharing my feelings with a woman, my stomach turns to Royal gelatin."
4. "Take these three items: some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
5. "He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
6. "Go down a rope in the middle of the night? If I could do that, I'd be the star of my AARP meetings."
7. "Well, I haven't exactly been the monk of the month or anything like that but I have been making an effort."
8. "This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime."
9. "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."
10. "You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
a. The Bridges of Madison County
b. Magnum Force
d. Play Misty for Me
e. The Rookie
f. Gran Torino
g. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
h. Absolute Power
i. Bronco Billy
j. Every Which Way But Loose