The original Friday the 13th features some of the most gruesome deaths put to film — at least as of 1980. But where do they compare with the greatest of all time? Here are Steve Spears' Top 5 favorite cinematic slayings.
5. AMERICAN PSYCHO (2000): Christian Bale, above, kills Jared Leto with an ax blow to the head while they discuss the merits of popster Huey Lewis. Maybe it's not so Hip To Be Square.
4. A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984): Years before he'd become Capt. Jack Sparrow, a sleeping Johnny Depp is pulled by Freddy Krueger into a mattress, which then explodes like a blood-spewing volcano.
3. FRIDAY THE 13th (1980): Kevin Bacon, fresh off his movie debut in Animal House, cashes in right after having sex with another camp counselor when Jason Voorhees jams an arrow through his neck.
2. THE LOST BOYS (1987): A vampire is killed when he's staked up against the sound system, sparking the movie's best line: "Death by stereo."
1. JAWS (1975): Robert Shaw, above, slides slowly into the gaping jaws of the monstrous shark, ensuring none of us would go swimming again for at least five years.