Some of us aren't so big on planning, and we can't always decide which bands we want to see at a big music event. We might be tired, wired, mellow or just want to dance.
Not sure what you're hot for at Saturday's Tropical Heatwave? Here's a meteorological guide.
Julie Garisto, Times staff writer
These acts are sure to make you work up a sweat:
• Soulphonics, featuring Ruby Velle, (old-school R&B with horns and female vocal), Cuban Club ballroom, 6:15 to 7:20 p.m.
• Atlas Soul (eclectic Mediterranean/North African rhythms), Cuban Club ballroom, 7:40 to 8:50 p.m.
• Del Castillo (flamenco rock featured in Tarantino/Rodriguez movies), Cuban Club band shell, 10 to 11:20 p.m.
• Still Alive (reggaeton and hip-hop from Colombia), Orpheum, 10:30 to 11:15 p.m.
Variable highs, lows
These eclectic wonders offer unpredictable styles and tempos:
• Mighty Lester (soul and blues), Cuban Club band shell, 6:50 to 8 p.m.
• The Shackeltons (folksy and animated) Cuban Club cantina, 8:40 to 9:45 p.m.
• Nervous Turkey (jammy, bluesy improv), New World Brewery, 9:30 to 10:15 p.m.
• Mojo Gurus (Southern rock, country and rockabilly), Cuban Club cantina, 11:55 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams (folk rock), Cuban Club band shell, 11:40 p.m. to 1:10 a.m.
These acts offer pleasant, melodic tunes guaranteed to refresh:
• Actomatics (pop rock), Orpheum, 5:50 to 6:45 p.m.
• The Oaks (folk/pop), Orpheum, 6 to 7 p.m.
• Blue Vipers of Brooklyn (vintage jazz and swing), Cuban Club ballroom, 9:10 to 10:20 p.m.
• Win Win Winter (alternative pop rock), New World Brewery, 10:30 to 11:15 p.m.
• A New Personality (reunion of a local '80s alternative band that played the first two Heatwaves), Orpheum, 12:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.
Stable to mild
We don't mean boring. These guys are just a little mellower:
• Acho Brother (bilingual one-man act by Hector Mayoral), New World Brewery, 7:30 to 8:15 p.m.
• Julie Black (local blues chanteuse) Orpheum, 8:20 to 9:10 p.m.
• Have Gun Will Travel (folk, country and rock), New World Brewery, 8:30 to 9:15 p.m.
• Sonny Landreth (bluesy rock), El Pasaje Plaza, 8:40 to 10 p.m.
• King of Spain (one-man act by Matt Slate), New World Brewery, 11:30 p.m. to 12:15 a.m.
• Graham Parker (pop-rocker from the late '70s and '80s), Cuban Club cantina, 10:05 to 11:35 p.m.
Cool, low pressure
Acts that might chill you to the bone:
• Before Dawn (electronic dance), Orpheum, 11:30 p.m. to 12:10 a.m.
• Jarvik 7 (dynamic, atmospheric rock), New World Brewery, 12:30 a.m. to 1:15 a.m.
Julie Garisto can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.