The Vocal Arts Festival is a collaboration of Opera Tampa, the Patel Conservatory and the VOICExperience Foundation, run by the legendary operatic baritone Sherrill Milnes and his wife, soprano Maria Zouves, who is vice president/associate general director of the opera company. Beginning this weekend, the festival will present workshops, concerts and other events for the next three weeks. All are in the TECO Theater of the conservatory, part of the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts. Highlights include:
• The opening concert of music from all genres, 6 p.m. Sunday.
• A showing of Franco Zeffirelli's opulent 1982 screen version of La Traviata, with Teresa Stratas and Placido Domingo, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
• Showcase for Generation X and the Children's Show Choir, 6 p.m. Aug. 6.
• "Death by Aria — Parts I and II,'' a program of operatic arias, 5 and 7:30 p.m. Aug. 8.
• Master class with director Tito Capobianco critiquing singers, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 9.
• "Songs of Love,'' a concert featuring composer David Friedman, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 11.
• Master class with Milnes, 6 p.m. Aug. 15.
A festival pass is $66 for admission to all events. Single tickets are $8-$15. (813) 229-7827 or toll-free 1-800-955-1045; strazcenter.org.
John Fleming, Times performing arts critic