Overcast68° FULL FORECASTOvercast68° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Keep pets safe from this list of poisons

Most responsible homeowners make an effort to keep harsh chemicals, rat poison and other dangerous substances away from pets. However, the same people may not realize how many other pet toxins lurk in the home. Here are 10 other items that could make your pet sick:

Ibuprofen

You may have the best intentions in giving human pain medications to pets, but no drugs should be given to pets without first consulting your veterinarian. Ibuprofen in particular can cause significant intestinal and kidney damage and many other over-the-counter and prescription medications for humans can harm animals. Also keep in mind that child-proof medicine bottles are not necessarily animal-proof, and pets could ingest a whole bottle of drugs.

Pet medications

It's also important to keep animal medications out of reach of pets. They are often enticingly flavored, so if pets find their way into the bottle, they are likely to gobble far more than a safe dosage.

Grapes and raisins

It's also important to be careful with snacks for animals. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Some tests show as few as seven grapes can be toxic. Onions and garlic are also dangerous for both cats and dogs, though typically in larger amounts.

Chocolate

It's not a myth propagated by chocoholics trying to hoard their sweets. Chocolate can be deadly for dogs and other pets. A mild stimulant in chocolate can be far from mild for pets. It can cause seizures, vomiting, diarrhea and heart problems. Dark chocolate is particularly dangerous. Also, coffee and other caffeinated drinks contain similar substances. Sugar-free gum and mints

Sugarless candy and other items often contain xylitol, a sweetener that can cause low blood sugar and liver failure.

Alcohol

Your dog may be your best bud, but don't share a Bud with him. Even small amounts of alcohol can cause gastrointestinal and respiratory problems in many animals, and may be deadly.

Lilies

Lilies top a long list of plants that can be toxic to animals. A cat that eats even small amounts of lily parts can incur severe kidney damage. Other dangerous plants include sago palms, tulip bulbs, azaleas, rhododendrons, yew and English ivy.

Batteries

Again, most corrosive acids are kept away from pets, but pet owners may not think of keeping batteries well out of reach. Battery acid can cause corrosive injuries to the mouth and stomach of many animals. Liquid potpourri may also be similarly dangerous.

Christmas trees

If pets eat tinsel and other decorations, the material can cause intestinal problems. Similarly, Christmas tree water may contain dangerous bacteria and fertilizers.

Citronella candles

Citronella smells good, so it attracts dogs, but it can cause diarrhea and stomach cramps if ingested.

Get help

If your pet may have consumed one of the above toxins or other dangerous substances, contact your veterinarian or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center toll-free at at 1-888-426-4435.

Keep pets safe from this list of poisons 09/05/11 [Last modified: Monday, September 5, 2011 5:30am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Hometalk.com.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...