They say it's wrong to let the TV baby-sit your kid. But what about your pet?
With most of us spending 40-plus hours at work, that leaves less time to pal around with our four-legged friends. We try all sorts of ways to distract pets in our absence: catpnip, a hallow chew toy filled with peanut butter. Perhaps you've even left the TV or radio on to keep your pet company. If you're looking for CDs or DVDs customized specifically for the four-legged demographic, then check out these options for pet entertainment.
• Songs to Make Dogs Happy The makers of this CD "surveyed" 200 dogs to learn what would be music to your pet's ears. The result is a Kidz Bop-esque album sung by cast of adult humans. Tracks include the calypso-inspired Scratch My Back, the smooth jazz number Cookies, and our fave, Sweaky Deaky, sung in English and Spanish. Seriously. If you like Songs to Make Dogs Happy, then check out other artists on the label, including Carla the parrot and Nora the piano-playing cat. ($14.95; www.petcds.com)
• Just Chillin': Music for Pet Stress and Separation Anxiety After a long day of licking herself, your pet needs to unwind. And what better way to do that than with surprisingly tolerable two-CD set? Even song titles like Wet Kisses turn out to be innocuous instrumentals with nature sounds in the background. You and your pet can both take a breather with this one. ($14.99; www.petmusic.com)
• Music Birds Love Supplying birds with music is like bringing sand to the beach. But that didn't stop former Bradley Joseph, a former keyboardist for Yanni, from remixing his previous albums into a fowl-friendly CD. Jokes aside, we wouldn't mind falling asleep to the sound of chirping, waves crashing and rain ourselves. ($13.98: www.bradleyjoseph.com)
• Dog-On Television: Television for Dogs Why didn't we think of this? It's a DVD that loops footage of dogs playing and barking, like Animal Planet without the commercials. Leave it on while you're away to trick your pet into thinking he's at the dog park. Celeb fans include Nicollette Sheridan, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Nicole Richie. ($16.98; www.bowwowtv.com)
• The Purrfect DVD Set the DVD to loop footage of birds, squirrels, fish and bugs. You may even want play this when you are home, so you can crack on your kitty as he paws at the screen. ($16.95; www.purrfectvideo.com)