Forget about getting more exercise, stopping smoking or cutting back on the booze in this new year. Your resolution for 2010 is going to be to lose weight. Or become an extraordinary cook. Well, guess what? Now you can do it in front of millions on a reality TV show! We've found five new concepts that are looking for participants. So show some willpower, get up off that couch and get your application in. You can thank us later in a tearful confessional moment caught on camera.
1. LOSING IT WITH JILLIAN MICHAELS: That would be Jillian from The Biggest Loser. You won't be going to the ranch, though. She's going to move into your house for a week (hope you have a spare bedroom!) so she can tell you just how disgusting your family's eating and exercising habits are. No monetary prize, but you'll look fabulous in those spandex shorts at your weigh-in. (castingduo.com/jillianmichaels; deadline says noon today, but that could be extended)
2. THINTERVENTION WITH JACKIE WARNER: Hot mess Jackie, whose drama-laden relationships with her girlfriends served as a backdrop to her Beverly Hills Workout series, is looking for a woman age 21-30 who is 30-70 pounds overweight. Oh, and it'll help if you have some psychological issues, too, because Jackie loves her some drama. (realitywanted.com; deadline says March 31)
3. UNITED PLATES OF AMERICA: Okay restaurateur wanna-bes, start working on your pitch for this NBC series that's being produced by the same Magic Elves outfit that brought you Project Runway and Top Chef. You'll have to go through "grueling challenges," but the winner will be given the opportunity to open a new restaurant chain in four cities across America. Will one of those cities be Tampa, home to the Outback, Carrabba's, Bonefish, and Hooters chains? We can only dream, right? (nbc.com/casting; deadline unspecified)
4. MASTERCHEF: Are you ready for a kinder, gentler Gordon Ramsay? He'll be providing guidance and inspiration for this new Fox cooking competition being produced by the same group that does Biggest Loser. Billed as an American Idol for amateur chefs, this competition is holding a casting call in Miami on Jan. 17. Fair warning: You have to bring a dish. (fox.com; look for the casting link at the bottom of the page. Deadline is Jan. 31.)
5. EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS SHOW: We hope this is just a working title for ABC's new Loser, um, emulator (see, we're being nice for our resolution). The dif in this model is that a trainer shows up at your door and takes a whole year to work the weight off you. It'll be interesting to see if this pace suits those of us who thrive on those double-digit Loser losses. (abc.go.com/site/casting; deadline unspecified)
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: Tryouts for MasterChef are scheduled for Jan. 17 at the Whole Foods Market in Coral Gables. A different date was listed in Monday's Top 5.