"He's a Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former pre-med student, now, about to become … 60 years old!" • Bill Murray actually does turn 60 today. And if you didn't recognize that somewhat re-edited quote from the 1980 movie Caddyshack, then you're no real fan of "Carl the Groundskeeper" or any of the dozens of classic film roles the Illinois native has played since giving up on college and dreams of becoming a doctor. • Here are five chances to redeem yourself. See how well you know Murray's long career on TV and in film with this pop quiz.
1. Bill Murray has been nominated for an Academy Award once. For what movie was he nominated?
b. Broken Flowers
c. Lost in Translation
2. In the movie Where the Buffalo Roam, Murray plays the role of which journalist-author?
a. Walter Cronkite
b. Hunter S. Thompson
c. Ernest Hemingway
3. Murray did nearly two dozen impressions during his four seasons with NBC's Saturday Night Live. Which of these isn't one of them:
a. Ronald Reagan
b. Tony Orlando
c. Richard Burton
4. Name Murray's character name in both Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II:
a. Peter Venkman
b. Raymond Stantz
c. Winston Zeddmore
5. In 1993's Groundhog Day, at what time does the alarm clock go off each morning?
a. 4:59 a.m.
b. 6 a.m.
c. It never goes off.
Bill Murray as who?!?
Here are five roles Murray was considered for before the parts went to other stars:
• Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story (Tim Allen)
• Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp).
• Detective John Kimble in Kindergarten Cop (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
• Han Solo in Star Wars (Harrison Ford).
• Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman (Michael Keaton)
Top 5 Bill Murray underquoted movie lines
1. "It just doesn't matter!" (Meatballs, 1979)
2. "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually something unusual." (Stripes, 1981)
3. "You're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels." (Kingpin, 1996)
4. "You slut." (Tootsie, 1982)
5. "Hi, I'm Bob. Would you knock me out, please? Just hit me in the face." (What About Bob?, 1991)
This report contains material from Biography.com and IMDB.com.
Answers: 1. c. 2. b. 3. a. 4. a. 5. b.