THE RAT PACK - Live at the Sands (which is known outside of North America as The Rat Pack - Live from Las Vegas) first appeared at The Beck Theatre in Hayes, England in January of 2000.
Frank. Sammy. Dino. Anyone who's ever aspired to be hip and cool knows the main players of the Rat Pack, the posse led by Sinatra during swinging, stylish Las Vegas back in 1960. Today, a stage at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center will be transformed into the legendary Sands Hotel, where the three staged their Summit act, hosted a future president in their steam room and generally caroused with abandon. And three guys who you've probably never heard of will go on and try to bring back that magic, if only in a two-hour show. We know a lot of you will be heading over to catch the show — and maybe reminisce a little about those heady days because you just might have caught the real deal. But how well do you know some of the lore of the Rat Pack? With an assist from TBPAC, we're publishing these trivia questions (fittingly, 11, since the movie Ocean's Eleven is what brought the pack together on the Vegas Strip). Cats, dig this.
1. Sinatra arranged to have it installed, and it was the first one on the Vegas Strip. When the Rat Pack were in town, it was available only to them and served as the ultimate VIP room. What was it?
2. The moniker "Rat Pack" was originally bestowed on a bedraggled party of all-night revelers consisting of Sinatra, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, David Niven, Swifty Lazar, Martha Hyer, Jimmy Van Heusen and Angie Dickinson. Who uttered the phrase "You look like a g--d-----ed rat pack!"?
3. Post Martin and Jerry Lewis, the future of Martin's career was in question. He forged a lifelong friendship/partnership with Sinatra while shooting what movie? Hint: A very young Shirley MacLaine co-starred and received her first Academy Award nomination.
4. Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop share an academic accomplishment. What is it?
5. Davis met Sinatra when his act was substituting for an opening act for the Tommy Dorsey Band. (Sinatra was the vocalist.) In what act was Davis performing?
6. It is now known as the Strip. What road passes through the heart of Las Vegas?
7. Sinatra demanded total loyalty from his pack. Davis was temporarily banished from the Sinatra largesse after painting a less-than-flattering portrait of him in a radio interview. After two long months and a public apology, Sammy was allowed back into favor and into the making of Ocean's Eleven. Frank gave a measure of comeuppance when he cast Sammy in what role?
8. Democratic presidential hopeful Jack Kennedy stayed at the Sands during the filming of Ocean's Eleven. Sinatra introduced him to whom? (His own on-again, off-again girlfriend?)
9. A Rat Pack scandal threatened to sideline Kennedy's bid for president. Davis succumbed to the ensuring political pressure and postponed what event?
10. In 1964, the Beatles had five Billboard chart hits, but this Martin classic knocked them all out of the running when it shot to No. 1.
11. In 1987, Frank, Sammy and Dean kicked off the "Together Again Tour." A national tour of 40 dates in 30 cities, it was widely referred to as the "Return of the Rat Pack Tour." After just a few cities, Martin walked out on his friends, citing illness. Who replaced him in the tour?