Make us your home page

Have a specialist determine if son has ADHD, like his father

Adapted from a recent online discussion.

Have a specialist determine if son has ADHD, like his father

Overcoming denial: My husband was diagnosed as an adult with ADHD; his childhood school reports read like a textbook case.

Our 8-year-old son's midyear report comments repeatedly on how bright he is, but every paragraph ends with, "but he is easily distracted" or "he has trouble following multi-part instructions" or "he struggles getting his wonderful ideas onto paper." My husband doesn't think much of this teacher, who has been at the school 35-plus years and has a somewhat formulaic approach.

I read this and thought we should have him tested for ADHD. My husband read it and said, "Can you believe it? It reads just like my reports, his teacher must not be seeing how great he really is."

I think he is in denial; he's very sensitive about the ADHD and is upset that I once mentioned to his teacher that we have a history of attention issues in the family. He thinks that handed her a formula. I think the formula's right. How do I approach this with him with sensitivity?

Carolyn: He's so sensitive that you can't mention it? And he can't see past his own defenses for the sake of his son?

If you can mention it, then just say to your husband in a calm moment, "I understand why you want me to be the reason Son's teacher is seeing signs of ADHD. However, ADHD is believed to have a strong hereditary component. Just in case Son would benefit from ADHD treatment and strategies, I'd like to start the process of having him screened."

If he still resists, ask your pediatrician to recommend someone who does ADHD screenings, and schedule a consultation for just you and your husband.

(Still) overcoming denial: I think he would be less sensitive if the report had come from a teacher he respected more. I can't bring it up, or rather, I can, but I have to do it pretty gently. Medication has helped him tremendously, but he is very concerned about the tendency to jump quickly to medication for kids.

We do have an occupational therapy evaluation coming up and are working with a couple of specialists at the school, too, so I may end up asking one of them to deliver the message. (He also knows this is something I've been watching out for practically since our son was born and therefore may be too quick to the trigger.)

Carolyn: I'm loath to back anyone who is sensitive to the point of denial, especially a parent, because children's well-being hinges on parents' ability to face all topics like adults. However, just because your husband is handling them poorly doesn't mean his concerns aren't legitimate.

The numbers of young boys diagnosed with ADHD should give parents pause, and you should at least consider that you've closed your mind to the possibility that your son doesn't have ADHD.

Please find a level-headed, disinterested specialist — someone who isn't affiliated with the school and who wouldn't be handling the treatment — and start the screening process. It relies on teacher input, so state your differing opinions of the teacher. Also advise said specialist that you and your husband bring different biases, and tend to agree only on wanting what's best for your boy.

Have a specialist determine if son has ADHD, like his father 05/04/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:44am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Washington Post.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours