Q: My current boyfriend and I have been dating for more than a year and a half, and we've decided he is going to move in with me next month. We've had our little ups and downs, and we work things out.
As exciting as this is for us, I'm less excited about telling my mom, for fear of a negative reaction. I plan on telling her after he has been moved in for about a month. She may come to visit me this summer and I don't know if I should tell her before she arrives or after.
A: Besides postponing your discomfort, what exactly will you accomplish by delaying this talk with your mom? As far as I can tell, you'll merely add the insult of hiding something from her to her perceived injury of your making choices she'd rather you didn't make.
If you're ready to do it, then you're ready to own it.
About that readiness: Why use "current" to modify "boyfriend" when there's only one boyfriend being discussed? And why mention "our little ups and downs" to justify your investing in this relationship when that's not even what this question is about?
I wouldn't have thought twice if you didn't invite me to. Please ask yourself whether Mom's expectations are the sole origin of your doubts.