Sometimes you really can get something for nothing. Or, in the case of ArtsAlive 2008, many things. Saturday is free museum day in St. Petersburg with admission waived at five local museums and Sunken Gardens.
Drop your car at one of the city garages and hop the Looper Trolley which, for 25 cents, will take you to all downtown venues. A free shuttle will operate from BayWalk (at Second Avenue N between First and Second streets) to Sunken Gardens and Great Explorations, the Children's Museum farther north since parking there is limited.
In addition, the Arts Center (719 Central Ave.) and Florida Craftsmen Gallery (501 Central Ave.), which are always free, will offer discounts in their gift shops.
Each location will have American Sign Language interpreters, and drawings for prizes will be held throughout the day. The museums will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Sunken Gardens and Great Explorations are open until 4 p.m.
Combined savings is as much as $68 for an adult. That's something.
Free admission, Saturday only, at:
• Salvador Dali Museum, 1000 Third St. S
• Florida Holocaust Museum, 55 Fifth St. S
• Great Explorations, the Children's Museum, 1924 Fourth St. N
• Museum of Fine Arts, 255 Beach Drive NE
• St. Petersburg Museum of History, 335 Second Ave. NE
• Sunken Gardens, 1825 Fourth St. N