1. Tater Tot Throwdown: Expect to hear a lot of Napoleon Dynamite fans asking, “You gonna eat your tots?” at Friday’s food truck rally at St. Petersburg’s Albert Whitted Park. Nearly two dozen food trucks will be lined up, and they’ll all have at least one tater tot dish, as well as their regular cuisine. Trucks include I Wanna Wok, Bacon Boss, Taco Lady, Mr. C’s Grilled Cheese and Craving Donuts. The event is pet-friendly, with merchants, vendors and entertainment by T.L. Jentgens. Lawn chairs are suggested. Free, food and drink additional. 6-11 p.m. Friday. 107 Eighth Ave. SE, St. Petersburg.
2. Cagestock: This three-day celebration of “peace, beer and music” at Cage Brewing in St. Petersburg has a good lineup of local bands, including a funk band doing a Woodstock tribute. Hear an eclectic mixture of bluegrass, Americana, rock, psychedelic, funk, sultry singer-songwriters and experimental music by 20 bands on two stages. Free. 8 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday, Sunday. 2001 First Ave. S, St. Petersburg. (727) 201-4278.
3. Spark Talks: Sparkman Wharf has partnered with the Florida Aquarium for a series of free monthly talks that focus on Florida’s aquatic and terrestrial animals and ecosystems. Eric B. Hovland, the aquarium’s associate curator, gives a “From Fear to Fascination” talk, which will explore the often-misunderstood world of sharks. Learn why protecting them helps keep the ocean healthy and thriving. 6 p.m. Tuesday on the entertainment stage at 615 Channelside Drive, Tampa. (813) 345-5881.
4. Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America: The multimedia traveling exhibition from the Smithsonian Institution showcases the role of sports and recreation in American culture at the Sulphur Springs Museum and Heritage Center. Weekends feature talks and family events focused on games and sports, ranging from a lecture on Arthur Ashe (Sept. 15) to a Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team experience (Sept. 14). The exhibit runs through Sept. 21. Museum hours are 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays. Free. 1101 E River Cove St., Tampa. (813) 935-9402. sulphurspringsmuseum.org.
5. Dog Swim Day: Dogs can dive, splash and swim in the Fossil Park Pool on Saturday. Proof of vaccination is required. $5. 9:30 a.m. Saturday. 6739 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. N, St. Petersburg. (727) 893-74454.