MORE from our HomeTeam writers.
Records through Wednesday
1. Jesuit (7-0): Unchallenged Tigers winning by average margin of 34.4 points
2. Tampa Prep (8-0): Six-foot-9 frosh Juwan Durham averaging nearly double double (17.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg)
3. Wharton (7-0): Best Wildcats team since Butler alum Shawn Vanzant’s senior year (2006-07)
4. Berkeley Prep (9-0): Bucs have some quality wins already (Lakewood, Florida Air)
5. Tampa Catholic (5-0): Chivarsky Corbett (21.8 ppg, 11.0 rpg) making early-season statement
6. Chamberlain (6-1): Reggie Hart scored 38 in Wednesday’s win vs. Steinbrenner
7. Brandon (7-0): Eagles clearly the county’s early-season surprise
In the conversation: Armwood (5-2), Cambridge Christian (7-0), Freedom (6-1), Sickles (5-1)
1. Freedom (9-0): Patriots beat a pair of playoff contenders — Wiregrass Ranch and Newsome — on consecutive nights by an average of 35 points.
2. Seffner Christian (10-0): Crusaders overwhelmed three more opponents in the past week, winning by a combined score of 211-48 — an average score of 70-16.
3. Steinbrenner (11-0): Warriors continue to put together an impressive resume, including wins over Hillsborough (50-31) and Chamberlain (73-35) this week.
4. Sickles (9-0): Gryphons moved into the 6A-11 district lead with 51-41 victory over Armwood. Get stiffest challenge of the season next week at Steinbrenner.
5. Riverview (9-0): Sharks have moved into the poll with an undefeated start that includes wins over Tampa Bay Tech (43-37), Bloomingdale (51-29) and Hillsborough (55-47).
6. Tampa Bay Tech (7-4): Titans dropped a couple spots in the poll after last week’s defeat to Riverview. But they rebounded with lopsided wins over Durant and Brandon this week.
7. Plant (8-2): After losing at Steinbrenner last week, Panthers rolled to wins over Largo, Indian Rocks and Durant. Things get tough next week when they face Freedom, Newsome and Bloomingdale.
In the conversation: Holy Names (7-3), Newsome (7-2), Armwood (5-2), Tampa Prep (5-3).