MORE from our HomeTeam writers.
Records through Wednesday’s games
1. Freedom (18-2): Sophomore guard Taylor Emery (21.4 points) is expected to return Friday against Steinbrenner after suffering a concussion Jan. 5. A win clinches the district title.
2. Seffner Christian (19-2): Crusaders cruised to a lopsided victory over then-undefeated Academy at the Lakes, and followed with a 46-point win over Tampa Prep.
3. Steinbrenner (18-4): Has a chance to topple top-ranked Freedom on senior night in their gym, where they’re 18-1 the past two seasons.
4. Sickles (18-4): Pulled out a two-point win at Armwood despite shooting 28 percent and being outrebounded 45-19; will be the top seed in District 6A-11.
5. Newsome (13-6): Held off an improving Alonso at home to maintain a half-game lead in District 8A-7.
6. Plant (15-5): Close on the heels of district rival Newsome, the Panthers rolled to big wins over Plant City and Durant.
7. Strawberry Crest (15-5): Since the end of the winter break, the Chargers have won past three games by an average of 52 points.
In the conversation: Tampa Bay Tech (12-9), Armwood (11-9), Riverview (14-6), Alonso (13-7).
1. Jesuit (17-1): Our kingdom for just one Jesuit-Tampa Prep game.
2. Tampa Prep (18-0): Terps’ unblemished record gets major challenge Friday vs. Miami Norland in Punta Gorda.
3. Berkeley Prep (16-2): Bucs rebound with gritty win vs. Tampa Catholic three days after falling to Tampa Prep.
4. Wharton (17-2): Like all public schools, Wildcats have been idle during exam week.
5. Tampa Catholic (12-6): Six teams that have defeated Crusaders own a combined record of 93-13.
6. Sickles (16-3): Gryphons had an entire exam week to stew over last week’s 15-point loss to Armwood.
7. Brandon (12-5): After some recent lean years, young and talented Eagles are back.
In the conversation: Armwood (14-6), Chamberlain (14-5), Freedom (12-2), Tampa Bay Christian (12-1)