Skip Holtz is here! Skip Holtz is here! Skip Holtz is here! ... Okay, let me turn the page here and see what's going on in my world:
1. Everyone knows Keswick Christian's Tanner Wozniak has skills, so his 38 points against Academy at the Lakes Thursday night is not really a surprise. Neither is the fact he made 9 of 10 free throws, and three 3-pointers. lor the 13 rebounds and 10 assists. Hey! That's a triple double? It's going to take those kind of efforts to hold off Plant's Michael Frazier for the Tampa Bay scoring title. Right now Wozniak has the 25.62-24.78 edge.
2. Wesley Chapel freshman Christian Parra scored 18 to lead his Wildcats to an easy victory.
3. In that loss to Wozniak and the Crusaders, AATL's Matt Grossenbach scored 25, just two points off his season high.
4. Ridgewood's Stephanie Berchiolly scored 21 in a win over Land O'Lakes.
5. Thursday's hat trick club: Berkeley Prep's Amber Famiglietti and St. Petersburg Catholic's Kelsey Dougherty-Howard.
1. The Land O'Lakes boys basketball team shot 82.8 percent from the free-throw line, making 24-of-29. Alex Perry and Justin Thomopalos combined to shoot 21 of those free throws, making 17.
2. St. Petersburg Catholic's Rei Ozolins and Nick Knippen scored 20 and 21 points, respectively, in the Barons' 75-54 victory over Northside Christian.
TEAM OF THE NIGHT
The Land O' Lakes girls soccer team snapped Hudson's 13-match unbeaten streak with a 1-0 victory on a Renea Porsch goal. Vroom vroom! The Gators (8-4-6) have allowed only one goal in their past eight games (River Ridge's Mikaela Morolla, in case you were wondering) and have only allowed more than one goal in a game only...well, zero times. On the year, opponents have only broken through for seven goals thanks to some excellent defense backed by keeper Tara Marshall. After a slow start, the Gators have gone 6-1-1, in that span holding all five of Pasco County's top goal scorers without one.
JUST FOR FUN PREDICTIONS
1. Boys hoops: Largo 69, Bogie 58.
2. Girls hoops: Sickles 62, Freedom 59 (OT)
3. Girls hoops: Spoto 53, Wharton 52
4. Girls PCAC soccer: Seminole 2, St. Pete 0 and PHU 4, Osceola 0.
MY TWO CENTS
1. I love the idea of the MLK Shootout that Lakewood is hosting today and Saturday. But really, you're going to invite Bogie and not play them? That's like putting a dog and a cat in the same room but making them play with squeaky toys.
2. Still feels weird saying Fivay. Fivay. Fivay. Yep, weird. Good thing the old sawmill wasn't settled by six guys whose names started with A. (Get it? Go ahead, say it....there you go, now you get it).
3. I think Nature Coast will hire defensive coordinator Charles Liggett as its new head coach. Remember where you heard it first. Unless he doesn't get it. Then forget you ever read this.
Thanks to all the folks who have emailed tips and nomnations in all week. Gracias. Keep 'em coming if you have someone who deserves a little pub for a night well played. You can hit me up at email@example.com.