MORE from our HomeTeam writers.
Records through Wednesday
1. Freedom (19-2): The Patriots won the District 7A-9 title by handing Steinbrenner only its second loss in the past 23 home games.
2. Seffner Christian (22-2): The Crusaders knocked off 6A-9 champ Kathleen and rolled to wins of 42 and 30 points over Tampa Catholic and McKeel Academy.
3. Steinbrenner (19-5): Recovered from the loss to Freedom with a 40-point win over Brandon. The Warriors should get a third shot at Freedom in the district tournament.
4. Sickles (19-4): Completed an undefeated 6A-11 run then added wins over Leto and Alonso.
5. Newsome (15-6): With Plant slumping down the stretch, Wolves are the prohibitive favorites in the 8A-7 tournament.
6. Strawberry Crest (17-6): The Chargers could be a threat to Sickles in the 6A-11 tournament, winning five of their past six. They’re improved a lot down the stretch.
7. Riverview (15-6): The Sharks closed strong in the regular season, winning four straight. That includes one-point win at Plant in the finale.
In the conversation: Tampa Bay Tech (13-9), Armwood (13-9), Alonso (16-7), Plant (16-7)
1. Jesuit (21-1): On their most sluggish night, Tigers still beat a solid Lennard team by 17
2. Tampa Prep (20-1): Terps have clinched ninth consecutive 20-win season; is second consecutive 3A title far behind?
3. Berkeley Prep (18-3): Three teams to defeat Buccaneers have a combined record of 52-8
4. Wharton (20-3): Four nights after loss to Largo, ’Cats overwhelm rival Freedom by 24
5. Tampa Catholic (16-6): Two of Crusaders’ 23 career 1,000-point scorers are on current squad
6. Sickles (19-3): Gryphons will be in fight for their lives (with Strawberry Crest and Armwood) in 6A-11 tourney
7. Brandon (13-5): With 9-1 district mark, Eagles will be top seed in 7A-8 tournament
In the conversation: Armwood (15-7), Chamberlain (16-5), East Bay (17-3), Tampa Bay Christian (13-1)