Basketball super 7
Records through Wednesday
1. Berkeley Prep (6-0, 0-0): Seniors Justin Gray and Craig Bowman are both averaging at least 14 points, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game for Class 4A’s top team.
2. Tampa Prep (6-0, 4-0): Junior guard Michael Fridella (13.7 points, 3.2 assists) has quietly started off the season well for a strong Terrapins team.
3. Tampa Catholic (7-1, 2-0): Last week’s 83-46 demolition of a solid Wiregrass Ranch team was one of the Crusaders’ most impressive victories so far.
4. East Bay (8-1, 5-1): What do Brandon, Lennard and Strawberry Crest have in common? Their first losses of the season all came against these tough Indians.
5. Chamberlain (8-2, 7-2): Reshawn Fredericks and the Chiefs have won eight consecutive games — including a 62-52 victory over Lennard this week — since an 0-2 start.
6. Strawberry Crest (9-1, 6-1): How the Chargers respond from their first bit of adversity — Tuesday’s 17-point loss at East Bay — will decide whether Strawberry Crest can make a playoff push.
7. Wharton (8-2, 5-1): The Wildcats followed up a JC Ulbrich buzzer beater to beat Newsome with a double-digit triumph over Plant.
In the conversation: Lennard (8-2, 8-1), Bloomingdale (6-3, 3-3), Jefferson (10-2, 8-1)
1. Steinbrenner (13-1, 4-1): The Warriors have their first loss, but it was to a solid, 14-1 Wiregrass Ranch team. Steinbrenner is still the most consistent team in Hillsborough County.
2. Strawberry Crest (12-1, 7-0): This week the Chargers beat a talented Tampa Bay Tech team by 24 points on the Titans’ own court. Aliyah Gregory and Co. don’t back down when challenged.
3. Seffner Christian (8-1, 3-0): The Crusaders, who average nearly 65 points per game, are on an eight-game wi streak, and their victories aren’t even close.
4. Armwood (13-2, 9-0): The Hawks rocketed up the rankings by outscoring their past five opponents 358-106.
5. Sickles (9-2, 2-2): The Gryphons’ two losses came at the hands of teams that have a combined record of 27-2.
6. Freedom (11-3, 2-3): The Patriots might be young, but they’ve shown they can escape with wins against solid teams, including Armwood, Riverview and Tampa Bay Tech.
7. Tampa Bay Tech (13-3): The Titans have a plethora of big wins, but they have fallen to the three best teams they’ve played.
In the conversation: Riverview (9-3, 5-1), Hillsborough (10-4, 8-1), Tampa Catholic (9-5, 5-1), Plant (9-7, 2-4)