Basketball super 7
Records through Wednesday
1. Steinbrenner (11-0): The Warriors haven’t played many of the county’s powerhouses yet, but an unblemished record still earns them the top spot.
2. Strawberry Crest (9-1): The Aliyah Gregory-Maiya Trigg combo has taken the Chargers far as the two combine for more than 31 points per game. Strawberry Crest has barely skipped a beat since its sole loss to Armwood on Nov. 19.
3. Freedom (9-2): The Patriots snapped a two-game losing streak with a commanding win against Tampa Bay Tech, and they have Taylor Emery’s 41 points to thank for the turnaround.
4. Sickles (7-1): The Gryphons flexed their muscle with a close win against Freedom on Monday, just a week after giving Steinbrenner a run for its money.
5. Seffner Christian (5-1): It's been almost a month since the Crusaders — who made it to last year's state semifinal — have won by fewer than 31 points.
6. Tampa Bay Tech (10-2): Tampa Bay Tech’s only losses of the season came to Strawberry Crest and Freedom, two of the best teams in Hillsborough County. The Titans are still one of the teams to beat.
7. Armwood (9-2): Armwood knocked off Strawberry Crest in November, and the Hawks’ only losses have been to Freedom and 10-1 Sarasota.
In the conversation: Riverview (7-2), Tampa Catholic (8-4), Academy of the Holy Names (7-4), Plant (7-5)
1. Berkeley Prep (5-0): Justin Gray and the Bucs are ranked No. 1 in Class 4A, with notable wins over Brooks DeBartolo and Lakewood.
2. Strawberry Crest (7-0): Three players — Malik Channer, Shelton Faison and Austin Griffin — are averaging double figures for the Chargers, who notched a 29-point win over East Bay last month.
3. Tampa Prep (5-0): Is it too early to call sophomore star Juwan Durham (18.4 points, 9.2 rebounds, 5.4 blocks per game) the best player in Tampa Bay?
4. Tampa Catholic (5-1): The Crusaders are averaging 84 points per game, and their lone loss came in the opener against Montverde, MaxPreps’ top team in the country.
5. East Bay (6-1): Anton Crutcher’s game against Lennard (28 points, 17 rebounds) is one of the best performances of the season so far.
6. Lennard (6-1): Wins over Jefferson and Chamberlain overshadow Wednesday’s close loss to East Bay.
7. Jefferson (7-2): The best win for Shaquille Mandy and the Dragons was a 67-64 victory over Chamberlain.
In the conversation: Cambridge Christian (8-0), Brooks-DeBartolo (5-2), Newsome (5-1), Chamberlain (4-2)