Times' Super 7
1. Armwood (1-1): It's gut-check time for a program that never really has required that many.
2. Plant (1-1): The Panthers have been drubbed early in the past, and then gone on to greatness.
3. Robinson (2-0): The Knights must be the favorite entering Jesuit's Corral Memorial Stadium next week.
4. Wharton (2-0): After winning at Sickles, the Wildcats make the biggest jump in these rankings.
5. Tampa Bay Tech (2-0): The Titans offense must catch up with the defense, and fast.
6. Durant (2-0): Is this the best Cougars team since the 2003 state semifinalist? We think so.
7. Jesuit (1-1): The Tigers defense has allowed two touchdowns in as many games, both on a short field.
In the conversation: Berkeley Prep (2-0), Hillsborough (1-0), Sickles (1-1)
A few guys we should've appreciated more:
Durant RB Chris Atkins: Resident wrecking ball Jamarlon Hamilton gets most of the attention, but this 190-pound sophomore ran for 121 yards, only 13 fewer than his burly teammate, against Alonso.
Armwood P Nick Feely: He averaged nearly 50 yards on four punts against American Heritage.
Newsome RB John Hendricks: He had 12 carries for 69 yards, three catches for 82 yards (and a touchdown) against Jefferson.
By the numbers
7 Age of Armwood QB Darryl Richardson when the Hawks last lost a home game to a team not named Plant before Friday's 36-28 defeat against American Heritage. The previous loss: 17-14 to Lake Gibson on Nov. 22, 2002
8 Receivers who caught passes from Jefferson QB Deiondre Porter in the Dragons' wild 39-37 victory at Newsome
4 Interceptions that Robinson has returned for touchdowns in two games so far this season
1,599 Yards needed by Carrollwood Day senior Robert Davis to become Hillsborough County's all-time rushing leader. Davis, who ran for 215 in Friday's 48-0 romp of Keswick Christian, must average 200 over his final eight games to break former Riverview star Avious Steadman's mark (5,320).
Three thoughts on next week
• Middleton, which hosts Lennard, has a crack at its first win since Nov. 12, 2010.
• We'd love to see how Robinson would fare against Plant right now (wouldn't you?), but we'll gladly take Robinson-Jesuit.
• Can't believe we're saying this, but Newsome is looking at 0-3. The Wolves will face a well-rested Hillsborough team on the road.