Jesuit's Hartlage handles dizzying demands



MORE from our HomeTeam writers.

More Video



Tue. January 18, 2011 | Joey Knight | Email

Jesuit's Hartlage handles dizzying demands

TAMPA — Before scoring the winning goal Saturday night against Freedom, Jesuit senior Tyler Hartlage’s head already had been residing in the clouds. Hartlage’s clutch kick (which he followed with another goal in the match’s waning seconds) capped a whirlwind 29 hours in which he spent as much time in a fuselage as he did at forward. Sandwiched between that Freedom contest and a Friday afternoon game against Robinson was a trip to Baltimore, where Hartlage received his prep All-America certificate at the National Soccer Coaches Association of America convention. “I was pretty tired,” Hartlage said. “All the sleeping on the plane, just the whole day, it was kind of rushed. But it was fun.” Here’s a breakdown of Hartlage’s wild weekend (times are approximate):


4:45 p.m.: Hartlage scores a first-half goal against Robinson, but leaves at halftime to make his flight to Baltimore. Jesuit wins, 5-1.

6:45 p.m.: Hartlage and his parents, Chris and Patti, depart Tampa International Airport for a direct flight to Baltimore.

8:30 p.m.: The Hartlages arrive in Baltimore.

Midnight: After a little sightseeing and a late dinner of quesadillas, Hartlage hits the sack.


8:30 a.m.: Hartlage awakens.

11 a.m.: Hartlage registers at the convention and has lunch that, naturally, features crab cakes.

3:30 p.m.: The Hartlages finally get out of the convention. “There were college All-Americans, there were youth All-Americans and my selection was actually the last one, and it took them the whole two hours,” Tyler said. “They called each selection up to the stage, and we shook the president’s hand and then we all lined up and took pictures.”

5:45 p.m.: Hartlage’s plane departs for a direct return flight to Tampa.

8 p.m.: The plane lands. “I didn’t even get to go to the bathroom when we got back to Tampa,” said Tyler, whose family checked no luggage. “My mom and dad just wanted to get to the car.”

8:47 p.m.: After racing in their silver Toyota 4Runner to the Temple Terrace 301 Fields, the Hartlages arrive at the Freedom game with roughly 20 minutes remaining. Hartlage, whose team is mired in a 2-2 tie, is inserted by coach Bob Bauman immediately.

8:57 p.m.: Hartlage, running toward the goal, gets to a ball played over the top and slides it under the Patriots goalkeeper to the corner of the net.

9:05 p.m.: Hartlage scores another goal seconds before the referee blows his whistle to signal the game’s end. Jesuit wins, 5-2. “It was something to see,” Bauman says.


10 a.m.: Hartlage awakens.

Teams in post


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours