Two days after personally receiving a scholarship offer from Skip Holtz, Robinson two-way lineman Bruce Hector has taken USF's coach up on it.
Hector (6-foot-2, 260 pounds) informed the Tampa Bay Times this afternoon he has committed to the school perched atop his wish list all along. He also had been offered by Akron, Ball State and Bowling Green.
"I'm firm on (the commitment)," he said.
A left guard on offense and defensive end in the Knights' 3-4 scheme, Hector (pictured, green shirt) received the offer from Holtz at the end of USF's annual Super Bull summer camp on Saturday. He said Bulls coaches told him he projects as a defensive tackle.
A second-team offensive lineman on the Times' all-Hillsborough County team last fall, Hector, who transferred from Gulf High last summer, collected 31 tackles and three sacks as a junior while helping provide lanes for a running game that averaged 187 yards.
He said the fact USF's team GPA has risen each of the last five years was another factor in his choice.
"I think I can learn a lot more when I go to their school," he said.
Hector is at least the fourth Hillsborough County lineman to receive an offer from the Bulls in less than a week. Robinson coaches also reported Monday that rising senior LT Conner Rafferty has been offered by Holtz. Jesuit two-way linemen Cameron Ruff and Robby "Bronco" Garcia were offered last week.